[CQ-Contest] Head-to-head

Martin Luther luther at mail.mdt.net.au
Tue Oct 3 06:30:55 EDT 2000

I think you missed my point.

YES, the winners will come from those who travel to the best places and YES
they will often be the best operators. BUT that should not denigrate others
nor should we assume that they ARE the BEST operators. They are the best at
doing what is necessary to win the CQWW contest, is that the way you define
the best? It is, for that one contest, but being the best contester implies
being good at all facets of contesting. That should include operating in all
types of contests, under different conditions and circumstances.

Having been a contester since the late 1960's I have a very good
understanding of what it takes to make the winners boxes. I have even
managed to do it a couple of times.

My career and life style did not, and does not, allow for travelling  to the
equator a couple of times a year. Nor do I really want to.

The challenge for me is to maximise the result from whatever limitations of
geography, lifestyle, income and personal ability that exist.

Now the debate becomes what is a good contester. You're note implies that
the only good contesters are those that prove themselves by going to the
best locations and making the box. Now, it is true that many of the best
contesters do this. However, I believe some of those same operators most
skillfull results are made when they do not have a geographic advantage.

There are contesters in this world who can walk into my shack the day before
the CQWW and would produce a better score than I could. Certainly put in the
right station at the right place they will win or come very close. Equally
there are some contesters who have mastered the skill of equatorial
contesting who would not equal the scores I can make when operating my
station. They both may make the box BUT they are not all the BEST!

After 30 plus years of contesting I know the guys that are better than me
and those that are not. As I get older it seems that there are more and more
getting better than me, but that's life I guess!

73, and

Don't forget the VK/ZL/Oceania contest this coming weekend ssb 1000z sat to
1000z sun , cw the following weekend.

Martin VK5GN (ex VK4VU)