[CQ-Contest] Re: (CQ-Contest) web cam solicitation

Ed Sleight k4sb at mindspring.com
Tue Oct 3 20:55:11 EDT 2000

GARY BELCHER wrote:

> All these exchanges about a webcam being solicitation seems like a waste > to me.
AMEN to that

> what about announcing in the DX Newletters (print and internet) where
> you are going to be operating (DXPeditions for a big contest operation)?
------sniped----------

Would like to make just a couple of observations. I think this group
collectively can come up with threads of absolutely no importance better
than any I have ever seen.

If you honestly believe that announcing ahead of time on the Internet or
DX bulletins that you are going to be operating from some DX spot during
a contest is solicitation, than nothing anyone says will change your
mind.

And I see the "spirit of the rules" is again being invoked. Why can't we
all get it into our heads that there is no such thing. There are rules!
If you come up with an innovative idea which isn't covered by the rules,
fine. But if the rules say you can only operate 1 transmitter during the
contest, there is no way a "spirit" can be invoked. Now does that mean
that if TX #1 decides to see how much smoke it can pour out the top that
you can't switch to another transmitter? Of course not.

If you send me an email during the contest saying "Ed, I really need GA
on 15", than it's wrong. If you announce your Webcans' presence on the
air during a contest, wrong again. If your Webcam shows a sign, picture,
poster, ect. in the SS saying "Need DE, WVA, MT" for clean sweep, you've
stepped over the line.

But anyone who thinks I'm going to be looking for Webcams during a
contest so I can work them is missing a couple of transistors.

If it's really that important, let's get an opinion from CQ. If not, let
the guys have fun in their own way.

73
Ed

I hate to suggest the obvious, but wouldn't a single call to CQ's
contest director solve the problem? Certainly enough time is left.

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com