[CQ-Contest] Speaking of Courtesy Violations

Jim Reisert AD1C jjreisert at alum.mit.edu
Mon Oct 30 21:58:04 EST 2000

At 09:11 AM 10/30/2000 -0800, KK7SR at arrl.net wrote:

>Unfortunately, my memories of the CQ WW will be tainted by the number of
>boorish hams that piled onto a couple of nets that I enjoy just to work a
>needed multiplier.  We are not talking newbies here; there were a number
>of well known contester callsigns heard transmitting with reckless abandon
>and total lack of basic operating courtesy and responsibility on a
>frequency that had been in use for some time.

I was the 40m op at KC1XX.

As you may know, 40 and 75 are mostly done using split-frequency operation,
transmitting above 3750/7150 and listening down.  We almost NEVER listen to
our own transmit frequency.  As some stations in the USA probably realize,
if they tried to call us transceive, we almost never heard them, unless by
some stroke of luck we just happened to check the transmit frequency for
some unknown reason.

When I was running, I asked a couple of times if the frequency was in
use.  I avoided places where there were QSOs taking place.

However, if I was tuning the band, and some station announced he was
listening on 7205, then I just set the Transmit VFO and went.  I didn't
bother listening first.  If the DX station thought the frequency was clear
enough to listen, then I assumed that it was.   It's just TOO DARNED HARD
to check your transmit frequency first in these situations.  It's all part
of the battle, and unfortunately, the low-band guys need to take this into
account a couple of times a year.

We did get one E-mail during the contest complaining about QRM to an
on-going QSO.  It was probably one of these types of situations, I would
not have deliberately called CQ on a busy channel.

73 - Jim AD1C

--
Jim Reisert AD1C <jjreisert at alum.mit.edu>
http://www.ad1c.com