[CQ-Contest] Is there ever any thought to........

Bill Coleman aa4lr at atlnet.com
Mon Sep 11 13:08:21 EDT 2000

On 9/9/00 2:00 PM, Bob, N5RP at n5rp at pdq.net wrote:

>Ever any thought to just doing away with packet for a DX contest?
>But what if we just went to doing away with packet during contests?
>Would any others buy into this ?

I don't think that's such a great idea.

It isn't the handful of guys in the top-10 categories that make the
contest. It's all the little guys with a peanut-whistle rig and a wet
noodle for antenna. They are the ones that load up the big-gun's logs
with all the contacts. Many of these guys don't even send in a log.

Some are just trying to pad out their DXCC, others are chasing other
awards, but most are on the air just for the sheer fun of it.

In some cases, packet is part of that fun. Try and outlaw it, and you'll
either get a) less participation or b) more widespread cheating by using
packet anyway.

I don't believe either are desirable outcomes.

>What if we just went back to doing our own hamming during a contest?

Hey, what a unique idea!

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at atlnet.com
Quote: "Boot, you transistorized tormentor! Boot!"
            -- Archibald Asparagus, VeggieTales

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com