[CQ-Contest] Is there ever any thought to........

Bob, N5RP n5rp at pdq.net
Mon Sep 11 12:32:05 EDT 2000

At 11:08 9/11/00, Bill Coleman wrote:
(re: doing away with packet in contests)

>I don't think that's such a great idea.
>
>It isn't the handful of guys in the top-10 categories that make the
>contest. It's all the little guys with a peanut-whistle rig and a wet
>noodle for antenna. They are the ones that load up the big-gun's logs
>with all the contacts. Many of these guys don't even send in a log.
===========================>
These fellows could use their packet systems.
As you say, they are not in the contest.

> >What if we just went back to doing our own hamming during a contest?
>Hey, what a unique idea!
===========================>
Well, I don't think unique is the descriptive phrase, but I have to
believe that it would make the contests broader in scope.

Once upon a time, there were other fellows sitting at radios, scanning
the bands, deciding what bands to scan as a function of time and
propagation, and those "other ops" were just as important to the end
score as the main op.

Today, "multi-op" more or less means "multi run", with the rest of the
necessary point adding actions being pretty much replaced by a screen
and a couple of keyboard actions.

Bob Perring
Amateur Radio Station  N5RP
mailto:N5RP at pdq.net