[CQ-Contest] ...the bottom line is VERY obvious

k8cc k8cc at mediaone.net
Fri Sep 15 19:06:32 EDT 2000

At 08:08 AM 9/15/00 -0400, Gilmer, Mike wrote:
>Let's face it, the log checking can only do so much (how many busted QSOs
>did it NOT catch?) and often is at the mercy of the quality of the senders'
>logs.  Some log checking tries to weed out the "unstable" logs - perhaps
>your example can be used to make the next revision(s) even better.
>
>In the meantime, your example is a case to remove points from the
>currently-presumed-*good* log as well as from the *bad* log.

You guys might be surprised what can be found in people's logs from the
1999 ARRL 10M contest:

- A big EU multi with every sent exchange shown as "59 NONE" or "599 NONE"
- DX logs with 2000+ QSOs where the sent exchange is a CQ zone (should be a
serial number).
- DX logs with NO sent serial number.
- Logs where the filename (i.e., callsign.log) is not the callsign used
during the contest.
- The log indicates a particular state in the sent exchange, yet EVERY
station logged him in another.

I can only speak for the ARRL 10/160 logchecking team, we take steps to try
to catch these errors, most of which are inadvertent and perhaps arise from
mistakes in the setup or use contest logging software.  (I highly suspect
that other logchecking teams do so as well.)  These are pretty gross errors
WHICH CAN BE EASILY CAUGHT BY THE CONTEST ENTRANT.  If people would do so,
the logcheckers could spend their time more valuably.

The November 2000 QST is scheduled to have an article I wrote called
"Coping With Cabrillo" which should help those unfamiliar with contest log
files how to generate the correct file, and how to check it for errors
prior to submittal.  This should help.

73,

Dave/K8CC

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com