[CQ-Contest] 10BaseT vs 10Base2 ??

Jim Rhodes rhodes at willinet.net
Sat Sep 2 02:21:16 EDT 2000

I hav always used 10Base2 cabling for the network here at home in the
belief that it would suffer/cause less RFI. I am now contemplating
switching to a cable modem type of internet access and will have to have at
least some 10BaseT in the house. What has been the experience of the group
with 10BaseT networking. Have there been more problems with RFI with this
type of cable or am I worried about nothing.

As it stands now I could just run a length of coax accross the house to the
entry point of the system (25-30 ft) and leave the 10Base2 in place. Or I
could run CAT5 cable over to the entry point from a hub in the shack and
plug into the 10Base2 network there. Or I could just convert to 10BaseT for
the all three computers. With the hub either in the shack or the utility
room where the entry point will be. I think I would only have to replace 1
card if I did that or none if I kept the 10Base2 setup.

As usual, I will summarize if there is interest. Thanks.

Jim Rhodes K0XU
rhodes at willinet.net

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com