[CQ-Contest] Penalties CQWW??

K3BU at aol.com K3BU at aol.com
Mon Sep 4 22:19:41 EDT 2000

In a message dated 9/4/2000 6:14:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
v31jp at logical123.net writes:

> Now, why should I get minus points for a zero point QSO?

Why should anybody get any penalties with computerized logging?
Three QSO penalty is from the days of manual duping, when we were required to
dupe the logs, and if you "forgot" to take the dupe out, you would be
penalized. It was under your control, no dupes count, if you mess up or try
to be clever, you get penalized. But now this "penalty" has creeped into the
UBN system, and we get penalized for errors, other's mistakes and inadequacy
in the master data base.

Esteemed log checkers insist on "making it hard" on us to be accurate by
having "penalties." I typically find about one-third of "problems" to be not
my problems, but I get three times as many points taken out for those
"problems".

I vote that this practice be eliminated and if not let us have access to
master database so we can run our logs through it before submitting our logs
and avoid problematic "penalties" by having stuff flagged as it would be by
UBNers.

Yea, I know CQ WW is the best contest, participation is increasing,
everything is fine, don't rock it. Nothing wrong by making it even better and
little bit more fair esp. to large countries by eliminating 0 QSO point rule
(like WPX did). Am I the lonely voice (CW) in the contest wilderness?

Yuri, K3BU

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com