[CQ-Contest] Penalties CQWW??

K3BU at aol.com K3BU at aol.com
Wed Sep 6 00:38:42 EDT 2000

In a message dated 9/5/2000 10:36:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time, w7why at juno.com
writes:

>>K3BU:
>> Why should anybody get any penalties with computerized logging?
>
>  You would be surprised, in CW contests, how many people copy my call as
>  W7WSY instead of W7WHY.  If it gets entered that way and not corrected,
>  what difference does it make if you're using a computer or paper log??
>  Computers only print out what you put in (GIGO)
>  Tom W7WHY

Tom,
the point is that with computerized log, dupes are immaterial, logs get duped
and rescored by another, bigger computer (we are encouraged to leave them in).
    With paper logs you had to find and flag the dupes, and not to claim
points for them. If you failed, and they found the dupes, you were penalized
(3 extra QSOs taken out) for not doing what was under your control.
    If I don't get your call right, that QSO should be taken out from my log
(I am not cheating, just tired or dumb), not yours (you sent it right), and
no "penalty." That's the difference between computer and paper log - way of
finding the dupes - claiming bogus points - being penalized for overlooking
or leaving them in, with hope they will not check the log.
Does that make too much sense?    :-)

73 Yuri

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com