[CQ-Contest] packet cheaters caught?

Steve Lund wa8lly at pacbell.net
Wed Sep 6 20:02:35 EDT 2000

Scott Ellington, K9MA, wrote:

> More than once, a local packet user has attracted my attention by calling a
> station (presumably) spotted.  I've then identified the station and worked him,
> leaving the local still trying break the pile-up.  I'm sure this happens to
> others all the time.  The timing makes it look like cheating, but it's not my
> fault my neighbor has key clicks!

The situation is very much the same for those of us using a 2nd
receiver.

I pulled the plug on packet 4 years ago. I added a 2nd receiver and
found it was more valuable in finding new multipliers than packet. As I
run low power, I must work the new mult before it gets spotted or else
it goes into the BandMap. The 2nd receiver makes it easy to know what
the locals are doing and checking propagation on other bands.

73,
Steve K6UM

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com