[CQ-Contest] Catching assisted unassisteds

Zoli Pitman HA1AG ha1ag at compuserve.com
Thu Sep 7 21:48:57 EDT 2000

Hello Steve et al,

What I exactly said is that a correlation scheme should be set up between
cluster spot timestamps and mult times - it is not so difficult using
computers. I agree that one occasion is not enough - but if someone works
60% of spotted mults less than 5 minutes after a cluster spot and 30% within
8 minutes of a cluster spot we can talk about correlation, can't we ?

Of course, the above figures and limits are just fictuous but something
similar could be set up using some basic statistical analysis forms. Please,
look at the following example:

I just took a sample of my WAE CW log using the saved spots from the
cluster: I worked 10 or 11 mults on packet callouts. In these cases I worked
the the 9 mults (81%) within 5 minutes and 2 mults less than 8 minutes after
their appearance in packet. All the other 48 off-run frequency mults were
outside of -0/+10 minutes timeframe. Here the time difference distrbution
shows a very sharp peak at +6 minutes.

A possible flow of checking could be:

1, Was the mult reported in the cluster X minutes (let's say 15 minutes)
before the QSO ? If no - take the next mult. If yes, calculate time
difference between the time of spot and the time of the QSO.

2, At the end you will see the time distribution of the mults reported in
the cluster.

3, If the distribution is near uniform or shows a slight peak long after the
report - the op presumably found the mult himself or in the second case,
found the crowd gathered on the cluster spot. If the distribution is shows a
distinctive peak - the op presumably jumps on cluster spots.

73 de Zoli HA1AG

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com