[CQ-Contest] packet cheaters caught?

andrew andrew at gi0nwg.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Sep 9 01:26:40 EDT 2000

In message <93C6F6B4CBF6D2119EDB00805F9F2C8158C645 at lp-pdc.lpc.com>,
Gilmer, Mike <mgilmer at gnlp.com> writes

>One way to detect packet assistance is to look at busted callsigns.
>However, even this is troubling.  If one guy can bust the call one way
>(mixing up S and H on CW), it's easy for another guy to bust it the same
>way.  Perhaps the powers that be have more "devious" means...

It's difficult to prove the S v H scenario (most people bust that at
some time!).  An easier way is to look at all the people who busted a
call in a less obvious manner around the same time period.  As an
example, in CQWW CW last year, according to my UBN report, three people
busted GI0KOW as GI4KOW, all on 10M, and all within my long run there,
so most probably on the same frequency.

I haven't checked if these guys are claiming Unassisted, but there is a
fair (but not 100% certain) chance that they were using packet.  A
deciding factor would be if they bust a number of callsigns this way.

Andrew Williamson GI0NWG / AC6WI
Homepage = http://www.gi0nwg.freeserve.co.uk/

One of the ZL9CI gang
http://www.qsl.net/zl9ci/