[CQ-Contest] Penalties??

George Fremin III - K5TR geoiii at kkn.net
Sat Sep 9 08:02:52 EDT 2000

On Sat, Sep 09, 2000 at 01:09:12PM +0000, jean giesler wrote:

> Station calls me "W4TYV 599" Since W4TYV is a SK I reply "W4TYU 599
> W4TYU. The galloping station simply says "TEST QRZ"
>
> Did I make a two way contact or not?  Do I log that contact or not?

This can be a common problem.

> Should I simply remove the contact from the log and let him suffer the
> consequences. I am sorely tempted to do so. My score is not that great
> and a few less Qs won't matter to me

That is one way to deal with it but you might want to
have a QSO with that station in your log also.

> Why in the world can't those stations take the microsecond to put in a
> "R" or "TU" to confirm their receipt of my exchange?

If the station sends R or TU - you still have no way of knowing
if they put the correct call in the log and the TEST QRZ is
often equal to R or TU.

The real problem you have is that you have only heard the station
send the wrong callsign to you - without correcting it - you have
several options.

1. Work the station again - although this wastes your time
   and is often not possible because of changing bands conditions
   or if the station leaves the band or if the pileup gets bigger.

2. Do no send your exchange until the CQing station sends
   the youre correct call back to you - so it could go like this:

PILEUP: KJ709AJKLDS900JALKSDJ K7RAT
DX:  K7RAT 5NN KW
6tr: 5NN OR
dx:  HC8N
PILEUP: JKAJDLKJFKLJDKF K5TR KJKLAJD;
DX:  K5TJ 5NN KW
5TR: K5TR
DX:  K5TA 5NN KW
5TR: K5TR
DX:  N5TR 5NN KW
5TR: K5TR
DX:  K5TR 5NN KW
5TR: 5NN TX
DX:  HC8N

By not sending your exchange but sending your call again
you are letting the other station know that something is wrong.
And you stand a chance of getting him to send your correctly
copied call - if you give him the exchange the less skilled
op will have all he needs from you and can move on to the next
QSO.

George Fremin III
Johnson City, Texas             "Experiment trumps theory."
K5TR (ex.WB5VZL)                            -- Dave Leeson W6NL
geoiii at kkn.net
830-868-2510
http://www.kkn.net/~k5tr

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com