[CQ-Contest] penalty!

DougKR2Q at aol.com DougKR2Q at aol.com
Sun Sep 10 19:33:55 EDT 2000

In a message dated 9/10/00 5:11:44 PM Eastern Daylight Time, kl7y at alaska.net
writes:

<< K6LA said that after reviewing tapes, he thought the log checking
 program did about 95% accuracy. That is certainly good enough to detect
 cheaters, which is the main purpose of log checking >>

HOGWASH!  The main purpose of log checking is to score the logs so that the
final score is a true representation of the entrant's contest effort.  It
also ensuress that each competitor knows that their score has been fairly and
equitably reached AND SO HAS THEIR COMPETITION'S SCORE.

Discovery of "cheaters" is (on rare occasion) a by-product of the scoring
methodology.  True cheaters are indeed rare.  If "detecting cheaters" was the
main purpose of log checking, I would have stopped this activity long ago.
As far as I know, most real cheaters (and I'm hedging my bet, but I really
feel that ALL is the correct term) are discovered by methods other than the
calculation of their score reduction.  Many cheaters would have only a small
score reduction...they are cheating in other ways....and...THERE ARE NOT MANY
OF THEM.

de Doug KR2Q

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com