[CQ-Contest] Sprint --> CONFIRM THE QSO!

k8cc k8cc at mediaone.net
Mon Sep 11 01:44:09 EDT 2000

At 06:33 PM 9/10/00 -0400, Bill Fisher - W4AN wrote:
>Last night I worked A LOT of guys who didn't bother to give me
>confirmation of a completed QSO.  I'm now faced with a decision:
>
>a) I leave the QSO in the log and risk losing 4 QSOs.
>b) I take it out of the log and for sure lose 1 QSO.  The other guy
>    possibly loses 4 if I'm in his log.
>
>Please, even if we are best friends...  Confirm the QSO!  Just a DIT will
>do.

A dit does not do when the other station sends it while your CW transmit
delay (I refuse to call it VOX because there is no voice involved) has not
timed out.  THIS HAPPENS A HECKUVA LOT!  Don't tell me my delay is set too
long - my T/R control comes from the computer and drops out the millisecond
the CW ends.  If I can't hear it, you sent it too soon!

In the Sprint, every QSO is tremendously valuable because the scores are so
close.  I'd be very tempted to delete such QSOs w/o clear confirmation
anyways because as Bill points out, if he messed up its four QSOs.

All it takes is a short pause, then send the dit.  I use "TU" which is
still pretty fast and even if I time it wrong, the other station should get
the end of the "U".

73,

Dave/K8CC

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com