[CQ-Contest] Post contest log review

Bill Coleman aa4lr at atlnet.com
Mon Sep 11 15:42:23 EDT 2000

On 9/11/00 12:41 PM, Ed Sleight at k4sb at mindspring.com wrote:

>Patrick Barkey wrote:
>> Can some of you who are explaining what is, and what is not
>> legal in terms of post-contest log review please cite the
>> specific line and paragraph of the rules that forms the basis
>> for their arguments?
>
>They can't, because it doesn't exist.

Then why claim it is in the published rules?

>If you choose to apply a "spirit of the rule" which further restricts
>you than the actual rule, you are certainly entitled to do so. But
>"stretching" vs "spirit" are 2 different things. And anyone is certainly
>entitled to enhance his score by taking advantage of technology, by any
>means, as long as you stay within the rules.

I think there are other forces at work here. In Law (and I'm not an
attourney, nor do I play one on TV), there's the matter of what's written
(the "rules") and how it is interpreted (the court history). It could be
these individuals are referencing a set of unpublished adjudications of
the contest rules. If so, it would be important for significant aspects
like the "no editing of contest logs is permissable outside of the
contest period" to be communicated either a) in the revised rules or b)
in an adjudication history of the contest.

--

I seems to me that this "no editing" business does not fit with history
of contesting. Consider: in the pre-computer days, logs had to be

So, it would be perfectly normal for a person to review and revise his
paper log in the course of scoring and duping it. Yes, even to the point
of changing recorded callsigns. It is also possible for the review to be
conducted with certain reference materials. Many contests denote
multipliers for contacts made with distinct entities. Some contests do
not distinguish those entities in the contest exchange itself. So,
someone wishing to score his log would have to consult a list of these
multipliers, and determine the proper entry based on the index of prefix
allocations.

Some contesters (including myself) also have horrible handwriting. During
the actual contest, it would not be unusual to produce barely legible
copy. I know that in my early contest experience, I would hand-write a
second, pristine copy of my log, making sure it was neat enough for other
people to read. It is pretty clear that changes could creep into this
process as well. Considering the time involved, I'm glad to be able to
log on a computer today.

Even though the majority of contestors log with computers, the same rules
should apply, whether an entry is introduced via paper or computer. If
post-contest editing of paper logs is permitted, which it clearly was
according to history, similar editing of electronic logs should also be
permitted.

If the contest sponsors want to impose other limits, they should be
explicitly enumerated in the rules.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at atlnet.com
Quote: "Boot, you transistorized tormentor! Boot!"
            -- Archibald Asparagus, VeggieTales

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com