[CQ-Contest] RE: [CQ-Contest} Predicting Unusual Openings

George Fremin III - K5TR geoiii at loja.kkn.net
Thu Sep 14 06:37:30 EDT 2000

> work stations in "X" about "T" hours later on that band?  Did I ever
> work stations in "X" without working stations in "Y" about "T" hours
> earlier?  If the answer to the last two questions is reasonably
> consistent (usually work Y and then X... rarely work X without
> working Y), then you've found an indicator for the path in question.

And alot of other stuff that made my head hurt.

Over the years I have operated with many good operators and
one thing I noticed is that as a result of many hours of
operating they have built up a huge set of experiances.  This
"knowledge base" is added to and updated with each contest
and other on air experiance.  I dont see them keeping notes except
maybe mental ones.  Keeping notes on paper would not be useful in
the heat of the battle since you need to decide what to do NOW not
after consulting your notes or a propagation prediction program.

They operate using their knowledge base as a guide.  As they
gain more experiance this knowledge becomes second nature - knowing
when to turn the beam long path or to look on some scatter path
becomes more a reaction and less a thought process.

As far as I can tell this only comes with experiance - not to
say that this knowledge can not be shared but it is hard to do.

I could ( and would be more than happy to) tell you about some
of the non-standard propagation paths that I have filed away
in my memory but this would not be a quick or compleate process
since much of it is second nature to me now -  so I have to think
about it alot more to tell someone that I do to just use
it when I am on the radio.

--

George Fremin III
Johnson City, Texas             "Experiment trumps theory."
geoiii at kkn.net
830-868-2510
http://www.kkn.net/~k5tr

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com