[CQ-Contest] ...the bottom line is VERY obvious

VR2BrettGraham vr2bg at harts.org.hk
Thu Sep 14 20:26:51 EDT 2000

K8CC elaborated on K4OJ's very valid point about copying what was sent:

  There are some parts of exchanges where no question, you must COPY
  WHAT WAS SENT. Nicknames in Sprint or NAQP, received serial
  numbers, etc. But sometimes you gotta use your head.

My head hurts thinking about this & no, it isn't because I'm invoking the
protection of alcohol as I kill some of the 20 hours it's taking me to get
back home from a business trip to SP-land.

I thought I did pretty well copying what was sent in the '99 ARRL 10m
contest.  Turns out I'd recorded it as a test to see if I could manage
recording with what I've got & all the RF that gets into it (apartment
QTH).  Forgot all about it & only reviewed it just before leaving for EU.

In two Qs I lost for busting the exchange, the recording showed _very_
clearly that I'd copied what was sent.  And no, it wasn't QSB or
anything like that - I logged what was sent, but the guy on the other
end bloody well didn't log what _he_ sent.

In one of those Qs, I even recorded the guy's next Q & he sent the
next sequential number from what he'd sent me, which was nowhere
near what was in the log the bloke subsequently submitted.

I'm well chuffed to have lost <1% Qs out of nearly 1700 in the log
checking process, but this exercise has identified several Qs which
I lost for simply copying what was sent.

Between those & a couple of checking mistakes already identified
by Dave, a good portion of what I lost wasn't my fault.

That simply isn't on.

73, OZ/VR2BrettGraham

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com