[CQ-Contest] Vertical Array Patterns

Bruce Sawyer n6nt at ynn.com
Thu Sep 14 21:45:09 EDT 2000

Hello All,

I'm sure somebody here has the answer to a very simple question on the
patterns generated by vertical arrays.  I don't, so am taking the short
route here to get the answer...

I recently layed my hands on a WX0B SM3/V phasing system to use on vertical
arrays.  Somehow, I thought this thing would only drive two verticals.  With
the two antennas spaced 1/4 wave apart, the box gives you three usable
combinations:  fire antenna #1, fire #2, or drive both of them in phase.
When both are driven, I know you get a figure 8 pattern off the axis of the
two antennas.  If only one is driven, then the feed line from the control
box to the non-driven antenna acts as an open-ended stub, thereby making
that antenna a reflector to the driven antenna.  Thus you get a cardiod
pattern in the direction of the driven antenna.

So far, so good.  But now upon reading the manual, I discover you can place
THREE verticals into a triangular pattern.  The question is...what happens
then?  If I drive three verticals in a triangle, 1/4 wave apart, and all are
in phase, what is the radiation pattern?  If I drive only one antenna, and
have the two others in the triangle acting as reflectors, what is the
result?

The application for this will be right on the beach on Little Cayman.
Initially, I'm going to set up two full-size 80m verticals in line with EU
and VK/ZL.  That will allow end-fire to EU, end-fire to VK/ZL, or broadside
into US and YV.  N7MQ is going to do a SB/80 in CQWW-SSB with this array.
Afterwards, I'll probably want to switch the box over to 40m so I can use
this myself for CQWW-CW and just live with a single 80m vertical.  Would
there be any advantage to having 3-40m verticals, or should I stick to the
same configuration as on 80m?

73,
Bruce, N6NT/ZF2NT

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com