[CQ-Contest] Re: Young people / the thrill is gone.

Larry Lindblom w0etc at ix.netcom.com
Sat Sep 16 22:45:37 EDT 2000

Kirk it sounds like you are describing my first marriage which ended in a
divorce.  But, things have worked much better the 2nd time around because
we've learned how to keep things interesting while accepting that things will
never be as exciting as they once were.

I've been around contesting for 37 years and have gone through stages of
laying low for a while and then diving back in.  Yes a sabbatical can be
fairly therapeutic and can recharge your enthusiasm.

Realizing as we all must that the K5ZD's, K3ZO's, K6LL's, etc are few and far
between is a sobering experience.  Realizing we might never reach their level
is very  frustrating.  And, at times I wonder why I stick with this crazy
game called contesting.  I guess it is because I get some vicarious thrill
out of making a bunch of Qs even when it is less than a third of those made
by the winner.  Of course the occasional reward I receive as in being
someone's first IA contact or getting a piece of wall paper helps keep me
going

Over the years I've changed styles. In in my youth I was the all band type.
But, in those days a tribander and a wire or two at 70 ft was all it took to
compete.  With the advent of super-super stations I've move more to single
band operating.  Also for the thrill of variety I've added another mode or
two to play at (e.g., RTTY).   And, in some events where I can't really
compete I've become an Op at a MS or MM super station.

And, somehow maybe accepting the fact I have never been nor will ever be
among the elite has allowed me to stick with it.  It has allowed me to stick
with it because I can now look at my mediocre score and say "not bad for an
op of your skills, location, and station."  For now my goal is to simply be
the best I can be though this will never make me the best and I can live with
that. It also helps to put contesting in perspective to life.  When we get to
the pearly gates I doubt Saint Peter will be concerned about our contest
achievements as part of the criteria for admission.

Congratulations for having the courage to broach and delve into a very deep
and philosophical issue.  Maybe by talking about it we will all gain a better
understanding of why we do what we do.  BTW, as a contester and psychologist
by original training and trade it looks like this could be a new therapy
market for which I am well qualified, for you only $150/hour session (hi-hi)

Remember, "the race does not go to the swift nor to the strong but to he who
can endue."   Also, remember "fish got to swim, birds got to fly I got to
keep contesting, why oh why."

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com