[CQ-Contest] Young people / the thrill is gone.

KL7RA Fairbanks, Alaska kl7ra at ptialaska.net
Sat Sep 16 17:40:29 EDT 2000

My good friend Kirk writes-

> Judge me as you see fit -- .
>  I don't know what the answer is,
> but the thrill is gone, and I'd like to know where it went.  Perhaps
> if I can find it again, others (including young contesters) can as
well.
> -Kirk  K4RO

Hi Kirk
I was somewhat surprised to see your post as you are one of the
loyal three AM crowd at Dayton. I'm not really the one to respond
as I have never felt the way you describe. I have been in every WW
since 1964 and plan on being in a lot more. I told the family if I
croak during a WW just duct tape to the chair until the skin color
goes really bad. My interest in contesting is higher now then ever
and I work on this station every minute I can.

So what I would say to you is this:
Thirty seconds before the contest starts and you are ready.
The station is ready and everything looks good for the start.
You are feeling that adrenaline rush when the clock goes all
balls. The same feeling comes when it ends. You are tired
but the rush is still there. You did great, great score, lot of
mults, super runs. And everyone knows the station  K4RO
because, win or lose, you are a contester.

73 Rich KL7RA

My interest is greater
now then ever and I'm not sure why and I have no way to

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com