[CQ-Contest] Young people / the thrill is gone.

k9yo at ix.netcom.com k9yo at ix.netcom.com
Sat Sep 16 18:21:37 EDT 2000

I must agree. I've noticed a trend in contesting where
the people who don't have the big stations, etc. are just
thrown off to the side. Also, the actions of a lot of big
guns have turned off a few people. Cheating is rampant in
contesting, and that turns a lot of people, including myself
off. I can remember writing that article for Jan NCJ where I
said contesting is not dead, but now that I've become
exposed to the "reality" of contests not being an equal playing
field based upon SKILL, but rather "my station is bigger than yours,
or I can transmit on 5 bands at one time and get away with it".

Quite frankly, I'm done with contesting. Like you Kirk,
I don't know why my interest has went down the drain.
Maybe it's the "twenties" syndrome. I know a lot of people,
including some of my elmers who lost interest in their twenties
or so, and picked it back up a few years later. It could
just be something like that.

73 from sunny NIU,
Cedrick Johnson-K9YO

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com