[CQ-Contest] Understanding rules (further to Penalties)

Gilmer, Mike mgilmer at gnlp.com
Mon Sep 18 11:21:09 EDT 2000

There's a difference between QSOs and QSO-Points.  The penalties are dealt
with in QSO-Points "space".

If the "bad" QSO were a 2-pointer, then 6 additional, penalty QSO points are
removed.  If the "bad" QSO were a zero pointer, then 0 penalty points.

Section 4, first paragraph of:

http://www.cqww.com/ubn-nil.html

says:
"In addition, a point penalty of 3 times the claimed-contact-point-value is
assessed."

For a philosophical spin (another recent thread), later in that same (short)
section it says:
The penalty system...is intended to strongly discourage logging of callsign
guesses.

It really is a "good read" for contesters.  Realize, however, that this is
CQ's modus operandi, not anyone else's.  It seems very well thought out.

I agree, and have said, that the RULES mention but do not clearly explain
the "3 times" penalty and, therefore, do a disservice.  I believe they
should refer to or concede entirely to the separate, albeit complex, UBN
guide.  Some will say (and I won't disagree) that the UBN guide scares away
the casual reader.  That's a good enough reason to have the RULES say at
least SOMETHING about penalties, but it needs to be clear.

73
Mike
N2MG

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com