[CQ-Contest] SAC next weekend---Signal comparison and curiosi ties

Soro Roberto roberto.soro at sia.it
Mon Sep 18 17:25:47 EDT 2000

Hello Ari and all,
entered the SAC CW last weekend.
Enjoyed as usual, and even had a better score than last year.

Just missed the first part, since I had something...better (hi)
to do (was in Turin with family to visit the Holy Shorud)
so started at 19.45Z on saturday.

The 10M band was dead to my qth (Milano) just 2 (two) qso ..I believe..
The 15M was so and so, with some loud signal very few) and a lot
just above the noise.
The 20M were OK on sunday, but early in the morning signals were
full of echoes, or a sort of backscatter, that made them difficult
to copy even they were loud.
The 40 & 80 have been good.

The curiosities now.........

FIRST ONE:
1951Z, 20M, among loud signals, there is an S3 one: OH9W.
gave him a lot of call, no answer (yes I'm only 100W, ...but)
he works stations I can't hear....hhhmmmm
freq: 14034.5....would it be an harmonics???
switch to 40, to check, since it's time to go there.
freq 7017.2. OH9W is there, very loud. qso at first call!!

SECOND ONE:
2017Z on 40M, the same story, heard a clear signal, well
readable above the qrm, OH0Z.
try to call him, but no answer and again do not hear the other stns.
this is again an harmonics.
Switch to 80 and OH0Z is there, at exactly the frequency/2.

Well, the propagation to southern EU was really good, but....

At 1015Z 20M:  OH2U   599+60db or even more, but my S-meter
doesn't go beyond this point!!!
This for sure the strongest signal I heard during my SAC.
(BTW when I worked OH2U on 20M at 0631Z, he was loud normally,
 with those echoes I mentioned before.)

73 and tks SAC qso's to all.

Bob,I2WIJ (J49WI - J45W)

mailto:i2wij at qsl.net