[CQ-Contest] cheaters, skill & motivation

KI9A at aol.com KI9A at aol.com
Wed Sep 20 00:36:33 EDT 2000

I read this thread with interest...I'm kinda young ( 36 ), small station ,
25' A3 & 40' G5RV & single 3-500Z amp at 700 watts.  I contest because i like
to try and see how well I can stack up against the boys with big stations...I
contest because I want to beat my previous best. I contest because it is fun,
not to win a hunk of paper.

Cheating...well, it is everywhere.  I also have a passion other than Radio,
it is drag racing.  I race guys every weekend that cheat. Do I quit? HELL NO!
I work to beat the cheaters, that really makes them mad! I love it.
I also play slow pitch soft ball. Cheaters there too!  They use bats that are
not legal. they make more hitting power. they can hit farther. Sounds like a
big amp, right?  I work hard there to BEAT the snot out of these guys. They
get mad. i smile, I don't "give up".  Yeah, I live in IL.  I know K9ZO, WB9Z,
K9XD, K9SD, K9BGL,  K9OM, and others will most likely beat me. They are all
GREAT op's with nice stations.  I respect these guys, & am quite sure they
win & score well on sheer skill & station design.  Do I get discouraged? Heck
no. I listen to these guys & learn...maybe once in a "blue moon" I beat them
out in a pile up...a victory!

Giving up & getting discouraged because of cheating, or guys with the most $
win?  That's not even in my plans!

CU in the pile ups, waiting my turn!
73/Chuck KI9A

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com