[CQ-Contest] A QSO or not a QSO

Guy Olinger, K2AV k2av at contesting.com
Wed Sep 20 01:20:05 EDT 2000

> > If a station otherwise intent on run rate at any cost knew that not
> > managing the acknowledgements would COST HIM AS WELL, would we not
start
> > to hear some attention to the little guy's "R" or lack thereof?
>
> It already does - if the stations you are working are not clear
> on the fact that you are working them or getting the information
> correctly than you stand the chance of them not logging
> the QSO because they do not think it happened.  This results in
> a not in log.

Well, if you consider it a deterrent, it's got to be about as weak a
deterrent as there is. It's very clear listening, that such stations
could care less. They don't expect to lose anything significant. They
know that the little guy wants the mult, and VERY FEW will nil the Q.
Big guy is in the driver's seat. Listing all the things that can go
wrong and who gets hit, it's quite clear that the little guy is the
majority loser.

What I am talking about is a big-time deterrent: TWO WAY SCORING. If the
little guy gets it wrong, the big guy gets hit with IDENTICAL TREATMENT.

> > I HEAR two-way
>
> You should log QSOs you think occured - QSOs you think were two way.

... and I'm still hearing it...

> >, but it's SCORED one-way.
>
> This is just a fact of the way the major contests are scored.

Yes, a FACT, clearly scored one-way. I propose that we CHANGE that fact,
that some stuff would clean up if we really wanted two way contests.

> > Which is it?
>
> It is both.

Yes it is, but SHOULD it be???

Yes it is, but if you score one-way, the CONTEST actually IS one-way,
BECAUSE, after all the pundits are done exclaiming from the soap box
that it's "two way, period", the participants will look at the scoring
and what's detected, and operate accordingly.

> Should there be some way to check for tranmit errors - maybe but that
> is anohter subject.

Not needed if the qso/mult loss is two way. Actually there is a better
way...

73, Guy
k2av at contesting.com
Apex, NC, USA