[CQ-Contest] Power limit

Sylvan Katz jskatz at sk.sympatico.ca
Thu Sep 21 12:09:52 EDT 2000

> IMHO the power issue is not that important. The most important thing is
> balancing the RX and TX capabilities. There is a natural limit to the power
> you can run in the contest and that is your ability to hear those who hears
> you. That limit may vary from location to location. I was operating from

With all due respect Igor I suggest that more people will answer you
if you can shout (high power) and not just whisper (low power). The
balance you speak about in Rx and Tx has little to do with being able
to create or break through a pile-up - it does dependent on the power
and the antenna system - i.e. ERP (and of course skill, geography and
condx).  I would prefer to have my score compared to someone who
whispers at the same level that I do (i.e. same ERP) and not to some
one who shouts louder or softer (higher/lower ERP) than I do - this
way when I see the results I am more confident that I am likely
comparing my skills and geographical advantage/disadvantage against
some with a similar technical setup. After all in amateur athletics
men rarely compete against women, children against adults and swimmers
against runners - they strive to keep the playing field level. This is
something we should strive for in the sport of amateur radio
contesting.  It is not nearly as difficult to accomplish this goal as
it is difficult to create the momentum required to accomplish the goal
of a level playing field..

73 .... sylvan
--
Sylvan Katz