[CQ-Contest] off times

Rick Bullon kc5ajx at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 22 00:49:28 EDT 2000

Hello All
I have asked this question before but I have never received an acceptable
answer on this.

Why is there an off time for single ops in contests????

Multi op stations have no off times. I have been told that it is so you
don't get so tired during a contest. Well if I get too tired to operate in a
contest I will take a break but if I am not that tired and can go the entire
contest then why shouldn't I be able too? I have heard answers like " It
takes more skill when you have to take breaks. You have to learn the
propagation and then you know when to take a break" or " When the rate drops
then you take a break" These aren't answers they tell me when to take breaks
not why. If the rate drops then you change bands not say " Oh well guess
I'll go watch TV for 30 min"
THere is nothing in the rules to keep 2 or 3 ops at a multi transmitter
station from running the whole contest with out a break.

  There are even 12 hour contests that limit the single op to 10
hours(NAQP)! Come now I am capable of working a contest for 12 hours!
Maybe we need to have the multi op stations have off times for the ops and
list the off times for every op there or just do away with the required
breaks
I noticed that the ARRL 10 meter contest requires ALL station to only
operate 36 out of 48 hours. Another rule that needs to be changed. When is
the last time you heard 10 meters opened for 48 continuous hours? You can't
work 48 hours on 10 meters maybe 20 or 30 if conditions are excellent!!!!
Can some one tell me the reason for this silly rule??????
73
Rick
KC5AJX