[CQ-Contest] Penalties

n6tr at teleport.com n6tr at teleport.com
Thu Sep 21 20:39:54 EDT 2000

Hi KeLe-

Just saw your comments from a week ago on the CQ Contest reflector.

Based upon the data I have seen - the process misses many more
busted calls (or even NIL calls) than are incorrectly flagged as
busted.

There are many reasons for this.  Basically, the process of marking
a call as wrong or NIL requires a certain criteria.  This is a rather
strict criteria.  If there is sufficient doubt - then the call (unique)
is considered good.  As a guess - let's say the 70 percent of the
really incorrect calls get marked as bad by the log checking software.

So for a log of 1000 QSOs, and an error rate of 5 percent (50 QSOs)
the program might flag 35 of them as being bad.

Let's say the program had some errors and flagged some good QSOs as
bad ones.  I'll use your 90 percent accuracy number (although I
believe the number is more like 99 percent).  In this case, there
could be another 3 or 4 QSOs marked that shouldn't be.

In this case - you already have a 15 QSOs "bonus" because of the
calls that were bad and not flagged by the program.  The errors
are much less than that.

This is why I don't believe there needs to be any compensation.

73 Tree N6TR

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com