[CQ-Contest] Wow, there are toooooo many! :-)

MARTIN MONSALVO LW9EUJ lw9euj at ciudad.com.ar
Sat Sep 23 11:31:18 EDT 2000

Hi:
As many of you may know  LU-CONTESTERS is planning to sponsor a WW DX
activity.This hole thing started, because we wanted to organise a different
type of contest.  There are many insteresting things in its rules, like the
QSO/QSY rule, etc.  We have solved  some topics, we started to develope our
own software,  we are receiving great help and advice on how to check the
logs utilizing a software that supports Cabrillo format logs, were are
building a site to promote it and publish the results, logs, ubn reports,
etc.
But, we still are facing a major problem: The date of the contest, yeap. It
seems allmost impossible not to colapse with some other activity or
competition.
I took some time to review several contest calendars and I saw there are 196
contests in 48 weekends! That an average of nearly 4 per weekend. Isn't it
too much!
I talk to good friend and told him one of the possible dates. He replied: Oh
noooo! That weekend the xx. in xx mode takes place. And you know the xx
organiser  puts lots of effort in it. Then I went to the calendar and saw
that xx organiser puts lots of effort in more than 15 contest per year!!!
The xx in cw, The same xx in ssb, in rtty, in psk31, in the high bands, in
the low bands, in the middle, in the corner, in winter, in summer, in
spring. The same TYPE of competition in as many ways as possible.
So, all those who are thinking of some innovative things have no room to
accomodate their competitions.
I classified the calendar contests in several types, as you can see at the
end of this message.
The most funny thing are the XX day contests. There are several sub types.
Memorial Day, National day, Club anniversary, I saw her cry day,  Peoples
Republic of Mandarina Day, etc.
Most of them start in the middle of saturday and end in the middle of
sunday. Why not just on saturday or sunday. Yes, I know, conditions are not
too good if we start at 00Z.
I was thinking about joint contests. In several modes the same day.
Organised by more than one sponsor. Concentrating activity rather than
dispersing it, with rules that privilege skills, not brut force. Oh, sorry,
I was dreaming.:-)
Have a nice weekend, there are tons of contests this one!
Martín, LW9EUJ

Different types of competitions
=====================
WW: 46