[CQ-Contest] (No Subject)

+ + wq5w at my-deja.com
Mon Sep 25 11:41:49 EDT 2000

I think Bill has an excellent idea.

I just bought a new house and 2 acres with no restrictions, but for the last 2 years I operated from an apartment with an MFJ loop antenna indoors.  In that time I made over 4000 QSO's and worked over 200 countries, all on CW.  Most of this was in contests. Since I had no shot at winning anything, I entered contests to increase my country count and to challenge myself.  The only contest I had a realistic shot of getting a certificate for was the IARU, which gives achievement level certificates for 300 QSO' s or 50 mults.  I must say I enjoyed this contest the most since I was able to get the gratification of a certificate for my efforts.

A CC&R category would give everyone a realistic shot at winning something.  I would also suggest more achievement level awards based on QSO/Multiplier levels like in IARU.  It seems silly at face value, but I think those certificates and Sweepstakes pins really increase the motivation for guys to get on.

Not to start a whole new thread, but I think VE5ZX was right on when he said that 95% of the Amateur Radio community fits into the CC&R or restricted space category and that number is only going to go up.  As my house hunting experience suggests, it is almost impossible to find a new(er) house in a XYL approved neighborhood close enough to work, schools and entertainment without CC&R's or zoning restrictions.  It took me several months of house hunting and in the end I just got lucky.  We should al1 support the ARRL's efforts to get the FCC's help with CC&R's and encourage all of those living with restictive covenants to get on the air any way that they can.  Bill's suggestion is a good start.

73,
Alan, WQ5W

Before you buy.

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com