[CQ-Contest] CC&R Category

thompson at mindspring.com thompson at mindspring.com
Mon Sep 25 17:44:26 EDT 2000

The idea of a CC&R category has merit in the United States, but how about
overseas.  I know that in many countries hams work from
tall apartments with antennas on the roof (9M2AX, SM0AQD).  Is there a
anything like the restrictions elsewhere?  These usually limit or prohibit
any antennas so they must use thin wires or flagpoles.   The class would
need to cover hams like KI4Y who lives in an apartment
with a long wire out the window.

Bill is right that only low power or QRP would work as a KW amp would
probably overload the telephones, VCR's et al.   Cheaters??? Sure
there would be some.   Just as they are those who enter QRP and low power
now.   Cheaters are not new to contesting......I remember the hams running
super power in the ARRL DX who got caught or the stations who claimed 150W
input in the ARRL SS.   Peer pressure is the only effective way to stop
this.

I like the restricted label that was mentioned even better.  Maybe low power
and QRP with only wire antennas (a lower case version of the TS).   As  I
passed onto to ARRL recently,  EVERY new subdivision in Atlanta has these
restrictions so even getting to enter a restricted class would be a feat for
most of these hams.

73 Dave K4JRB

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com