[CQ-Contest] Head-to-head

Martin Luther luther at mail.mdt.net.au
Fri Sep 29 06:00:34 EDT 2000

Well Well, Hi Mauri,

So VK is not a 'real' place, then I suppose the Italians will be handing
back their gold medals won in the Olympics held in this imaginary place of
Australia?

So you cannot be a top operator when running from places other than the
"perfect" locations on the equator.

Sheer nonsense!

In fact the opposite is true. Many of the worlds best operators never win
much more than a country or zone certificate. I think you are confused by
all the hype that goes with "box" scores. After all T was a top op before he
got the drivers seat at EA8. He became so while often running low powers and
less than Formula 1 antennas.

All the pressure for new categories results from this lack of respect shown
for contest achievements outside the box.
To get into the box you need to work lots of smaller stations, you need VK
and zone 30! If we are continually told we are not real, and our results are
not as worthwhile as those obtained at IG9,HC8 or EA8  then we will
eventually take our bat and ball to play someplace else.

73

Martin VK5GN