[CQ-Contest] Ionospheric heating

Tom Rauch W8JI at contesting.com
Tue Apr 3 11:40:00 EDT 2001

 > You can always try it, and see for yourself, get on with some DX right
 > after the contest, and see how long signals last at the certain level,
 > and when they start dropping rapidly. Do the same test at other, non
 > contest days, at the same time, with similar propagation and see what
 > signals levels you will experience and if you get the same phenomena.
 > Just try to add up all contest stations with perpetual CQing, multiply
 > by number of (Italian :-) watts and see how much energy you will come
 > up with. You might be amazed. Then you tell us if it only happens on
 > April 1st.
 >
 > If you need more proof and info check
 > http://server5550.itd.nrl.navy.mil/projects/haarp/

I was going to respond with a nice article about using my stacked push-pull
Razor beams to generate my own propagation, but then I looked at the date.

Since this not the first, I assume you are serious. If you are serious, you
are wrong.

The HAARP signal is an ERP of 3.6 megawatts concentrated in an area 20-
40 km diameter and about 200 meters thick.

The energy is ten's of thousands of times less than the solar energy
affecting the same area of ionosphere.

Even with all that power, they can only detect the effects on very sensitive
instruments.

Now I admit, a VE3BMV Razor Beam or two might outdo the gain of a
planar array hundreds of meters square aimed straight up at the sky. I'm
sure we all are aware the Razor beam is so narrow when pointed at
downtown London people in south London can only hear the backscatter
from Big Ben. Certainly a Razor, even with a modest amplifier, can outdo
the multi-megawatt ERP HAARP array by 10,000 times, and produce
energy levels competitive with the sun.

But most of us are stuck with regular yagis, and our combined root-sum-
square random powers comes nowhere close to the power density of a
single Razor.

We might have the power, but we certainly aren't as dense.

We just aren't capable of the same hot air production.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI at contesting.com

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com