[CQ-Contest] Dinged Good QSOs

David Robbins k1ttt at berkshire.net
Wed Aug 1 17:22:13 EDT 2001

K3BU at aol.com wrote:

> The problems with picking good QSOs as bad is aggravated by the 3 QSO
> penalty. I could swallow the occasional bad judgment if only bad QSOs were
> removed and no penalties.
> This 3 QSO penalty is the most illogical "punishment" known to mankind. Try
> to apply the same philosophy in real life to other tests or scoring systems:
> Like if you answered 5 questions on a written test wrong, and we will take
> another 15 out "just to  punish you" or to "teach you" to answer wrong.
> But the "bosses" decided we need punishment, so here we go. Just look at
> giant step in score reductions (and records affected) since the "penalty" has
> been used with computerized log checking.

lots of sports have penalties for things that are done incorrectly.  hockey(sit
in a box for a couple minutes for hitting someone too hard), basketball(give the
other team an extra chance to score if the coach steps over the side line),
football(remove points and back up team for throwing ball when past the line of
scrimmage), dog agility competition(add so many seconds to time for not stepping
on the right spot), auto racing(have to 'stop and go' in pits for going too fast
on pit row), etc, etc, etc.  the only difference between penalty qso's and many
other sports is that qso's are removed well after the event is done instead of
in real time... but then again we have to wait for many months for the judging
to be done anyway.

> And why do we still have 0 points for own country QSOs in CQ WW? What does
> that achieve besides badly skewing results and punishing countries with large
> ham population?

then operate in contests that don't have this rule.  this rule is part of the
'flavor' of cqww dx ssb and cw.  note, cq/rj rtty and wpx both give points for
in country qso's which gives them a distinctly different feel.

> Just trying to be sane and get some sense into our beloved contesting.

it makes sense to me that different contests have different rules.  changing
them just because you don't care for it doesn't make sense.

--
David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto://k1ttt@berkshire.net

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com