[CQ-Contest] Dinged Good QSOs

Tom Rauch W8JI at contesting.com
Wed Aug 1 18:12:03 EDT 2001

> lots of sports have penalties for things that are done incorrectly.
> hockey(sit in a box for a couple minutes for hitting someone too hard),
> basketball(give the other team an extra chance to score if the coach steps
> over the side line), football(remove points and back up team for throwing
> ball when past the line of scrimmage), dog agility competition(add so many
> seconds to time for not stepping on the right spot), auto racing(have to
> 'stop and go' in pits for going too fast on pit row), etc, etc, etc.  the
> only difference between penalty qso's and many other sports is that qso's
> are removed well after the event is done instead of in real time... but
> then again we have to wait for many months for the judging to be done
> anyway.

But all of those things are the actual fault or caused by the action
of someone on the team who gets the penalty Dave.

In this case, and what I think the big complaint is, you can make
absolutely no mistake at all and get a penalty.

There is a danger in allowing someone else the ability to cause
penalties. If someone wanted to mess with you they could work it a
dozen different ways. In this case, it can happen very easily
accidentally.

If you can't tell where the blame is, there should be no extra
penalty. It makes no sense at all any other way.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI at contesting.com

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com