[CQ-Contest] Dinged Good QSOs

David Robbins k1ttt at berkshire.net
Thu Aug 2 21:57:31 EDT 2001

i was not responding specifically to the dinging of good qso's, but to this
comment about the extra 3 qso penalty.

<quote>
This 3 QSO penalty is the most illogical "punishment" known to mankind. Try
to apply the same philosophy in real life to other tests or scoring systems:
Like if you answered 5 questions on a written test wrong, and we will take
another 15 out "just to  punish you" or to "teach you" to answer wrong.
But the "bosses" decided we need punishment, so here we go. Just look at
giant step in score reductions (and records affected) since the "penalty"
has been used with computerized log checking.
<unquote>

granted there are fewer sports where you can get penalized or lose points due to
a competitor's action, but they aren't unknown.  in auto racing you can get
stuck behind slower cars and lose time, you can get penalized in cross country
timed racing due to improperly set clocks or logged times at checkpoints, motor
boats and sail boats can get driven off the course and penalized due to other
competitors or even non-competitors that stray into the wrong areas, and judges
make calls about who to penalize in what would appear to be mutual
contact/combat in horse racing, basketball, hockey, socker, etc. all the time.
lets just not get into the quagmire of instant replay judgements like the nfl
has... or maybe we should, it would give everyone who tapes contests a good
reason to do it.

--
David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto://k1ttt@berkshire.net