[CQ-Contest] Relief

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Fri Aug 3 22:58:20 EDT 2001

        Tired of GUPI versus IUPG, 3 point penalties and dinged good
QSO's...is that what's getting you down Bunko????

        From the very same guy Tree mentioned who was penalized for OK2**
logging me on 15 meters, take a look at my antenna for 15 meters at:

http://users.vnet.net/btippett/images/W4ZV.htm

Look very carefully and you will discover:

        the secret to K1AR's success,
        what W3LPL looked like before his hair turned gray,
        who started the UBN concept 15 years ago,
        and maybe even spot a blue-footed Boobie at HC8N

                                              ...if you are lucky.

        I am really missing the point of all this arguing...and am somewhat
amused that Tree's citing my example was the beginning of it!  No matter
what the penalty, if we are all scored the same way, would it make any real
difference in relative standings?  I doubt it.  The only valid argument
could be comparability to past records but I don't see very many of those
that haven't fallen since the UBN process started.  And of course if CQ
were to switch to 1X now, wouldn't current record holders complain that
it would make their records easier to break in the future?

        I'm very pleased with the quality and depth of log-checking
these days...IMHO it sure beats the alternative.  3X, 2X or 1X is fine
with me.  ZERO X is a mistake.

                                   73,  Bill  WV7V (...er that's W4ZV)

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com