[CQ-Contest] Re: Dinged Good QSOs

George Fremin III - K5TR geoiii at kkn.net
Sat Aug 4 06:19:28 EDT 2001

On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 02:28:04PM -0700, Leigh S. Jones wrote:

> Let's see if I've got this right... and let's try a sports analogy.
> In America we play baseball, and when the pitcher throws a ball one
> inch outside of the strike zone the computer figures that he was
> trying to throw over the plate and counts it as a ball rather than a
> strike.  So far so good.
>
> But then when the pitcher throws the ball wild, and maybe he strikes
> the batter, then the computer figures he was trying to throw the
> batter out at first base and the batter got in the way of the ball so
> the computer calls the batter out.  But then when the sponsor, let's
> say it's Bud Light in this case, says that there's a penalty for
> illegally stealing first base, then the score's Bud Light zero, batter
> minus three.

No.

But you do bring up an interesting example.

In baseball you try to pitch in the strike zone. (get the call exchange right)

If you miss the strike zone by a little bit (miss the exchange) it is a ball.

If you miss badly enough and hit the batter (miss the call) the batter
gets on base without a hit.

It seems to me that the rules in baseball were set up to penalize
the pitcher for hitting the batter with a pitch in a severe enough
manner that he will try to avoid hitting a batter with a pitch.

--

George Fremin III
Johnson City, Texas             "Experiment trumps theory."
geoiii at kkn.net
830-868-2510
http://www.kkn.net/~k5tr

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com