[CQ-Contest] YT6A's UBN experience

Ranko yt6a at cg.yu
Tue Aug 7 07:58:01 EDT 2001

Don,

I agree with you.

My experience with UBN is very painful. I started to have very high UBN's
in last two years, and trying to find out exact reasons for it, I record my
operating as VP5MM in CQ WW CW. When I received very high UBN file ( 4,5% +
penalties??) I check it all on .wav files. And I
found 10% of UBN's Q's as my real mistake, usually typing errors. But I
found
90% of penalized Q's as correct contacts and very clear on audio replay???
Then I send e-mails to some of penalized calls to find what's really
happened. And receive some interesting answers. DL4MCF, VR2BG etc. answered
that they did not work me really??? There was no mistake on replay audio
files with that did I work someone who called me using their call signs! I
did it!! Could I know that someone was kidding with me or worked me using
different calls already active in that contest with some concrete
intention? On the other hand, CAN I know in future. Is it my mistake?

>From my point of view, and from point of view of MANY Contesters
in my country - Only for CLEAR mistakes, you can
make some penalizing. If you guess did I make mistake or someone else, it is
just guessing. There are MANY situations as mine when it is very
dissimulating for competitors. In my case I spend a lot of money and my
positive energy to work from DX location, did a big score and receive UBN
that is WRONG and crazy!!
Penalizing has  sense for non-marked dupes, 100% clear mistakes did by
operator and it is all. The rest is guessing and punishing by Contest
Committee following their personal opinion, not following the facts. Now
when everybody use computer
you can and must remove all non-complete and wrong Q's. Moreover, it is
fair. You can penalize only clear mistake done by operator, as non-marked
dupes, wrong call (???
Because maybe other station did a mistake? ), Typing errors and similar.
And it will be fair. Use advantage of today's technology. Do not improve
philosophical side of problem. Be TEHNICAL and fair!

And contest comittie must to folow trying to find the best way for objective
log  checking in future. With presemt way of penalizing the most part of
Contest comunity is not satisfied. It must be important and has to be
changed.

I truly support committee in their hard work to find the most fair way and
have some suggestions.

Ask anyone who want to be in scores to send electronic log
Make some stimulation for every log send immediately after the contest (
couple of hours )
Stimulate ON Line operating
Just remove all bad Q's
Penalize ONLY CLEAR mistakes
In my example you see how unfair it can be!!

73 to all

Ranko - YT6A, VP5MM, K3ZAX

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com