[CQ-Contest] Best of the best -- dinosaur version

Eugene Zimmerman ezimmerm at erols.com
Fri Aug 10 17:45:14 EDT 2001

Of course it isn't very easy to compare the top guns now with the top guns
yesterday.  But I hope you won't mind if a dinosaur adds a few to the list.

New England Mafia:  Remember W1JYH (W1AX), W1BPW, K1DIR, K1KTH [who was
almost as good as Chip running JAs in Japanese] and K1NOL?  Most of them had
modest stations but dominated the SOAB DX contests in the 60's.

Multiop station owners:  We seem to have forgotten how superb they were as
OPERATORS.  How can this discussion overlook W3LPL who won all the DX
contests SOAB for 2 years prior to going multi/multi?  If you have ever
operated beside Frank at his current station you will quickly realize just
how good he is.  Top 10 in SS is almost impossible these days but K3LR can
still do it.  What about Sig, W3WJD (N3RS), who is as tough a competitor as
you can find?  And K2EIU (N6RO) whose talents covered top scores both in DX
and domestic contests.

Missing from the singleop lists are two of the very best.  K4GSU (N4AR) who
had one of the biggest stations in the country long before the others and
piloted it to many high finishes in domestic and DX contests.  I once
finished 3rd high US in the SS to his 2nd high and I consider that a real
accomplishment.  And why has no one mentioned Jim N6TJ?  His ZD8 operations
from the middle of nowhere have been a standard of excellence.

I have spent the last 40 years or so working multiop.  So I would like to
pay tribute to some of the multiop operators who set the standards on one
band or another.  I start with 4 75/80 meters ops, each of whom had an
ability to hear and run barely audible signals even in the days before
separate receiving antennas:  W2IWC (K6SSS) @ K2GL; WA3LRO and K3JJG @
W3WJD/N3RS; K3NPV (K4YF) @ W4BVV.  On 40 meter SSB, three who always added a
few to the zero sum game: W4DR and W4BVV @ W4BVV; W2PV @ W2PV.  The two best
20 meter operators:  K1KI @ various places and N2AA @ K2GL/N2AA.  Most of
you know Bob, K3EST, as the Director of the CQWW contest but he defined the
meaning of concentration and talent on any band he operated.  Finally,
although he has been raised before in this thread, I would be remiss in not
mentioning Pat, N9RV, who is IMO the most underrated contest operator we
have.

I've also enjoyed the unanamous advice on how to get to this exalted level.
Read, study, watch the really good ones operate and practice, practice,
practice.  Good words indeed!

73  Gene  W3ZZ

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com