[CQ-Contest] How did these guys get to be so good?

Bob Naumann - N5NJ n5nj at gte.net
Sat Aug 11 10:14:18 EDT 2001

I think that this "mentoring" thing places the burden in the wrong place.
It's as though those who know, must teach those who don't.

I disagree.

I think those who desire to know something, need to do as much as they can
to learn about the subject.  Find out who knows what they're doing, observe
them doing it.  Contrast what they do to what you think you should do and
emulate what they do.

If it doesn't work, ask a question.

As anyone who has been on here more than a few days knows, if you ask a
question, you'll get a ton of answers.

The part about what we do in contesting, is that we can observe all of these
really great operators in action on the air.

Listen to any of the cited "experts" in a contest for a while.  Not only
will you be impressed, but you'll learn something.

73,
Bob N5NJ