[CQ-Contest] Reporting Bogus Station Addresses To The FCC

Tom Frenaye frenaye at pcnet.com
Sat Aug 11 22:10:48 EDT 2001

At 07:56 PM 8/11/2001 -0500, WZ3AR wrote:

>> >This is a clear FCC rule violation and Ithought that I would start reporting
>> > these. Does anyone know how I would go
>> >about reporting this to the FCC? Preferably through the Internet or snail
>> >mail if possible. Any help would be much appreciated.

If my kid was doing drugs the first step I would take would not be to call the police.

The FCC database is way out of synch with current addresses - somewhere around
15-20% are incorrect.  Lots of people have dropped their interest in ham radio (the license
term is 10 years..).

In your case they are all apparently active.  I bet you can find 90% of them by searching
for the callsign on one of the search engines like altavista or google.   More than likely
you'll also find an e-mail address for each of them.

If you have a problem with club stations, many clubs are affiliated with the ARRL.  You can
look up what's in the club database at:   http://www.arrl.org/field/club/clubsearch.phtml

If these are contesters you're looking for, the contesting.com site has a database of contester
e-mail addresses.

If none of that works out, you can put a list here on the cq-contest reflector.   Bet we'll know
most of them...

But don't call the police, where's your "ham radio" spirit?   Find a way to reach them without
the FCC - and they don't have time for address problems unless the person catches their
attention for something else.   I'd guess they use the steps above to find them...

                -- Tom

e-mail: frenaye at pcnet.com    YCCC --> http://www.yccc.org/
Tom Frenaye, K1KI, P O Box J, West Suffield CT 06093 Phone: 860-668-5444

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com