[CQ-Contest] 160m DX window dead?

Jeffrey Clarke ku8e1 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 17 10:23:39 EDT 2001

 W0ZV wrote :

  "In the most recent CQ 160 CW Contest, probably 99% of the DX
stations I worked were NOT in the 1830-1835 window recommended by CQ."

  Here's my take on why this is true. It is because there is either a
big gun US or EU station transmitting in the 1830-1835 MHz window. In
many cases these guys are running illegal power so they are probably
coving up that whole window to those that are local (ie in the same
continent) to them and no one else has chance of finding a clear
frequency nearby. That means the average guy has to either resort to
S&P or try to find a clear frequency elsewhere.

 I would like to still see a small window for those outside NA/EU. The
guys who usually go to the CARR/SA/AF/AS/OC for a contest are usually
using some type of compromise antenna (and are usually have weaker
signals) and it would be nice to have that small window to even have a
chance to work them....

                          73's Jeff  KU8E