[CQ-Contest] K1 Who?

Jim White, K4OJ k4oj at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Aug 23 04:49:54 EDT 2001

Looking at the CQ WW CW writeup I see many familiar callsigns from the
debate of a few weeks ago...and the sometimes mailgned W4ZV's bodacious 10
meter monoband entry....

During the "who's the best" series of few weeks ago W3ZZ pointed out to me
someone, an obvious candidate, had not been mentioned yet....and seeing as
it never surfaced I will mention him now.  Afterall we are an expanding
group and there are new guys on here who don't know what happened 25 years
ago, they might not have been born yet!

Another one of those kids from years gone by who started out with a marginal
station (2 element tribnader as I recall though it was before my time) and
made a name for himself...later going on to win ARRL DX both modes and many
other contests.  He does not get mentioned much on the contest reflector but
is certainly center stage when it comes to amateur radio:

Dave Sumner, K1ZZ

Dave as we all know is publisher of QST and ARRL's Exec VP...he used to be
"one of us" and still very much so is - he is da' judge at WRTC (other than
K4BAI) and is deserving of mention in  the best o' the best.

I had the distinct pleasure of sitting next to Dave at the 40 meter position
of W2PV when I was learning the contest game in the seventies...the was
pre-computer logging.  I quickly learned that Dave like myself was a
lefty...and he sent CW righty...so he never had to put down the pencil...I
made a mental note to do same after the first weekend of operating with
Dave...that alone was worth a lot not to mention watching him pull out the
calls...seemingly effortlessly.

Since nobody else has mentioned Dave, I honestly think he is simply a
"given" on the big list....here ya go...oh yeah, thanks Dave!

Jim, K4OJ

(p.s. I believe there is another able-bodied contester that has not been
mentioned!)

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com