[CQ-Contest] network problems

Rick Dougherty NQ4I at compuserve.com
Thu Aug 23 08:46:46 EDT 2001

Hello all...sounds like summer time lightning has gotten yet another
network..after reading about the problems at W1KM......I experienced the
exact same thing about 4 weeks ago...fired up the network and not a single
computer would talk to another...we have 7 computers networked with NETTSR
and bnc ethernet cards...some are ISA and some are PCI cards...in each case
the same exact thing happened to each card...the lightning entered the
network, not sure where. but the ic that was installed next to the bnc
connector was somked..in some cases another component was smoked as
well...the cards would pass the self test up to the point where they tested
the network cabling and that was where they failed...I am in the process of
securing another batch of cards and getting enough to have some
spares...seems that the industry has gone away from bnc technology ...I
prefer the bnc types because they are "bullet proof" in a rf
environment....we had no problems that were associated to rf at all....I am
not sure at this time what can be done to protect the network from another
case, except maybe disconnecting them when not in use...de Rick

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com