[CQ-Contest] network problems

Dave Pascoe KM3T km3t at contesting.com
Thu Aug 23 09:33:01 EDT 2001

Rick and others-

You would do yourself a favor by switching to twisted-pair cards.

Why?

1) Twisted-pair Ethernet is balanced and not as prone to RF interference
as it would seem.  We use twisted pair throughout the KC1XX multi-multi
and have never had an interference problem, and that's with one tower that
was fairly close to the shack with antennas pointing right through the
shack (south antennas).  We recently moved the south antennas, mainly
because we needed to stop the RF in the shack that *was* getting into
other stuff, like computer keyboards and motherboards.

2) It is getting more and more difficult to find BNC Ethernet cards
(10Base2, aka thin Ethernet).  10BaseT is pretty ubiquitous now so it's
pretty easy to find equipment since all these things are commodity items
these days.

73,
Dave

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com