[CQ-Contest] 3 QSO penalty

Kenneth E. Harker kharker at cs.utexas.edu
Fri Aug 24 10:34:14 EDT 2001

On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 09:31:34AM -0400, Bill Coleman wrote:

> >I realize that this is a bit of burden on the serious competitor.  In a
> >paper log, one might just make a line through the call and go on.  This is
> >a little more difficult in computer logging.  Perhaps the contest software
> >vendors can add a "no credit" function that will retain the band/time/call
> >information, but not the QSO points or multiplier credit.
>
> Part of the problem isn't the software -- but with the reporting format.
> Cabrillo, despite it's other fine qualities, has no way to report "no
> credit" QSOs. The alternative is to report them, and suffer the
> consequences of possible penalties, or to delete them, which is unfair to
> the other party who acted in good faith.

I've never understood why "almost" QSOs or "one-way" QSOs or "not quite"
QSOs should be logged at all, even at zero points.  If you're not confident
that the QSO happened, don't log it.  This doesn't penalize the other
station at all unless the other station also decides to log an "almost"
or "one-way" or "not quite" QSO.

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker at cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences         President, UT Amateur Radio Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com