[CQ-Contest] 3 QSO penalty

John Laney k4bai at worldnet.att.net
Fri Aug 24 12:15:35 EDT 2001

I agree with you Ken.  If the contact wasn't completed, it wasn't a
contact and it shouldn't count for anyone and shouldn't be in the log at
all.  However, there may be a place for zero pointing still.  This is
where the contact really did take place, but the operator can't claim
credit for it.  Generally, this would involve a band-change violation or
something of the sort.  Or a contact made after the operator has run out
of operating time and he hasn't realized it.  I am told that this latter
thing is no problem (I misfigured my off time in CW SS last year by one
hour)....that the Cabrillo logchecking software stops counting when the
maximum time is reached.  Also, there could be some contacts that were
made, acknowledged, and the operator commits a computer error (or
detects an entry error) and knows the info is wrong or incomplete.  He
wants to not claim credit for the incorrectly recorded info, but he
doesn't want to hurt the other operator by completely deleting the
contact, which was made, apparently correctly, acknowledged, and the
other guy is long gone.  In one year's SS, I realized that I had to
delete two or three QSOs from my SS CW log because of some error I had
made.  I e-mailed (or in one case snail mailed) the other guys promptly
after the contest to tell them that I had removed what they thought was
a good QSO from my log because I had made some mistake and couldn't
correct it now and that they shouldn't claim a QSO with me (at W4AN)
either so as to avoid penalties.

So, while known incomplete contacts shouldn't appear in logs at all,
there are still times when operator/computer errors may call for the
possibility of "zero pointing" QSOs without out complete deletion so the
other guy doesn't get penalized for something that was completely not
his fault and that he couldn't have know about.

73,

John, K4BAI.

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com