[CQ-Contest] CW versus SSB in 160 Contests

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Fri Aug 24 12:45:38 EDT 2001

On 8/17/01 6:29 AM, Bill Tippett at btippett at alum.mit.edu wrote:

>        CW rules on 160!...but you knew that didn't you?

I think the disparity in scores is more easily explained by the diversity
of DX available on CW that isn't present for SSB.

For example, you can work Japan on CW, but not on SSB, since the Japanese
don't have an SSB allocation on 160m.

Of course, let's not dismiss the greater spectral efficiency of CW, which
trades off communication speed (bps) for narrower bandwidth. It's a lot
easier to dig out a weak, narrow bandwidth signal at low speed than a
wide bandwidth signal at higher speed. Particularly in the presence of
noise sources typical of 160m.

Now, if we could just get as many PSK31 operators on 160m as CW ops, the
tables would turn easily....

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com